School of Continuing Studies

1859-1959

1859-1959

The early years of continuing education McGill University offered extension classes as early as 1859, with Professor Alexander Skakel from McGill College offering experimental lectures in homes. This developed into Extra-Mural Relations, then Extension Courses and eventually its own Department of Extension. A rural education Agriculture-related courses on Macdonald Campus engaged rural communities with extended […]

1960-1967

1960s

Interest in continuing education grows By 1961, enrolment in the Extension Department was 8,566 — exceeding the number of students enrolled in regular programs. A variety of course offerings  

1968

1968

A new name and an evolving mission On June 1, 1968, Edward C. Webster oversaw the Department of Extension transiting into the Centre for Continuing Education, with a growing mission: “There are two motivations for extension or continuing education programs. One is the desire – some would say duty – of the university to contribute […]

1970-1979

1970s

Continuing education at Open House 1971 Expanding education for Indigenous and Quebec communities In 1972, Alistair Duff was named Director of CCE. Holding the title of director was an important step in building the reputation and standing of the Centre. By 1973, the Centre was serving over 16,000 students. In 1974, the Senate expanded the […]

1980s

1980s

Continuing studies takes flight By 1980, credit programs were offered regularly and had graduates. In 1982, CCE moved from 772 Sherbrooke to the Redpath Library building. In the same year, the Aviation program was launched, aimed at elevating aviation professionals into management and strategic roles. First dean champions lifelong learning By 1987, there were 30,000 […]

1990s

1990s

A new focus on management and professional programs Professor Morty Yalovsky served as Dean of the Centre for Continuing Education from 1992 to 1999. His focus became partnerships with Desautels Faculty of Management, where Professor Yalovsky still instructed. Throughout the 1990’s, the CCE saw a shift in its offerings. Moving away from liberal arts courses […]

2000s

2000s

A changing student body In 1999, Robin Eley was named Dean. After being reappointed in 2001, his goal became to increase partnerships with other faculties, stating: “The faculties aren’t really equipped to deal with continuing education students. That’s where we have the expertise.” This decade also saw a shift in the student body of the […]

2010s

2010s

The School of Continuing Studies: a new era In 2010, the CCE offered its first forms of financial aid in the forms of scholarships and bursaries. In May 2011, the CCE officially became the School of Continuing Studies (SCS). In the spirit of the continual growth of the Centre, it had become much more than […]

2021

Today

The School of Continuing Studies today • 12,000+ students from over 160 different nationalities • Ranging from teenagers to seniors • 10 undergraduate programs • 20 graduate programs • 10 professional development programs • 5 online programs • 100+ workshops • Language immersion programs • Career advising services • Community for Lifelong learning • Prizma […]