T. Fred Ward was born in Worcestershire, England in 1879. He came to Canada with his parents and was educated in Montreal.
In 1901, he began working at McGill University as a cashier and assistant accountant. His work entailed organizing the offices of the McGill Union. The latter brought him into contact with Sir William Macdonald, the founder of Macdonald College. Ward was present when the first sod was turned for the Macdonald College buildings in 1905, visiting the site frequently while they were being built.
Ward was formally appointed Bursar of Macdonald College and took up residence in Ste. Anne’s in 1907, at the suggestion of William Macdonald, who noticed his abilities as a McGill employee. Ward’s duties were so varied and vast that it is impossible to list all the responsibilities he carried during his years of service to the College, but they touched all areas of administration. His tidy and organized staff records reveal his efficient and competent administrative service at McGill, and those who worked with him recalled that he was always there to lend a hand in times of crisis.
His success in various administrative posts shows an aptitude for problem-solving and managerial vision, but also a commitment to ensuring excellence in the institution to which he dedicated his career.
When Ward retired, he received high praise from students who dedicated a page in the yearbook to him to “say goodbye to an old friend who was always interested in our problems and ready to help.”