Redpath Library opens

With library collections dating from 1855, Redpath Library—now known as Redpath Hall—was donated by Peter Redpath.

The library opened in 1893, with extensions built in 1900, 1922, and 1953, and was the first building constructed to house the University’s main library collection. In addition to constructing the building, the Redpath family supported the Library’s operations and endowment, and donated important research collections including the McLennan Library’s Redpath Tracts.