Five nuns from the Sisters of St. Ann’s religious order enrolled in the Jacques Cartier Normal School-English sector. However, it was not until 1953 that an official female segment of the Jacques Cartier Normal School was developed. Prior to 1953, female teachers trained at the Sisters of the Congregation of Notre Dame at Notre Dame College and at Marianopolis College.
The School for Teachers, the School of Physical Education and the Department of Education were amalgamated to form the McGill Institute of Education. The Institute of Education remained within the Faculty of Arts, but was located at the Macdonald campus. D.C. Munroe, Macdonald Professor of Education, was its first director.